Life, Love and Lasagna

14 Feb

My cell phone’s familiar jingle almost caused me to drop the Valentine cards and flowers I was juggling as I waited for the cashier. By the time I could reach my phone, I had missed my daughter’s phone call.  Since it was nearly 10 am and knowing said daughter is usually teaching her fourth graders, I promptly returned the call.  Granddaughter Abigail answered my call and questions with short replies – like she was distracted.  I could hear her Mom in the background talking to a voice I didn’t recognize. Finally, Robin came to the phone,

“Jeremiah passed out this morning and we’re having trouble keeping him responsive. The ambulance is here and we’re going to the hospital.  Just pray.”

Jeremiah is our first born grandchild now almost 13 years old. He cares deeply about his family. He goes to the movies with Papa, fishes with Nana, hunts with his dad and uncles, teases his sisters and aunts, entertains his toddler cousins and does all of this in between school, basketball, football and baseball!  His dimple brings a smile to this Nana’s face from across the room and at this very moment…our grandson was fighting for air.

Plans and priorities change in an instant. I was 45 miles away and feeling helpless.  Fortunately, Gramma Linda was there to take care of the girls. I began praying and then called Papa. He called Uncle Ryan who called Aunt Becca and then Aunt Kara in Kentucky.

I thought to call my mother who was expecting me for our weekly lunch and shopping trip. Mother called my sister in Nebraska and she called her prayer warriors. Teachers and friends at school began praying when they saw Mrs. Gebhardt hurry home. Granddaughter Hannah’s caring teacher explained that her momma had taken Miah to the doctor so Hannah could be praying.

Cell phones are wonderful. We didn’t have to wait to learn that the paramedic’s quick response had Jeremiah breathing on his own and his fever dropping as they drove the 60 miles to the medical center. Calls were relayed to us and all of us were breathing easier too as we were updated on his condition.

In the ER Jeremiah looked pale and his voice was scratchy but the gold letters emblazened across his purple T-shirt from church camp were bold: “JEREMIAH 33:3” “That is God’s phone number”, I reminded him.

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”

It is so humbling but true. The God of the universe hears us when we pray and answers us and tells us things we do not know.  And, unlike me, HE answers on the first ring or even before we call! HE told little four-year-old Grace how to assist her Daddy in waking Bubby. (She placed a wet washcloth on his face.) HE gave knowledge to the paramedics and friends, Bill and Donald Gene, on how to treat Jeremiah. HE provided for us in sooo many ways that day (and every day)!  Thanks be to God and thanks to all the family, school family and friends who prayed!

Six hours later, Jeremiah was dismissed from the hospital and eating a cheeseburger and fries at Five Guys! We all needed the “comfort food”!  I don’t know who raised the great beef but Reed Farms in Idaho Falls, Idaho, provided the potatoes for the fantastic fries!

Our meal together was a celebration of life!

By the way, Jeremiah is the sixth person I have heard about who has passed-out or had to go to the hospital with this “virus”.  Take care!!!

When Jeremiah’s parents were in high school and just beginning to date, Jeff made a Valentine’s supper for Robin all by himself.  The menu was Lasagna, Salad and Garlic Bread, with Chocolate Cake for dessert.  I told her right then that he was a keeper! I am making the same romantic supper for My Valentine—here is my simple recipe for lasagna:

  • 2 lbs ground beef

  • 3 cups (about 26 oz jar) spaghetti sauce

  • 1 15 oz jar Alfredo sauce

  • 1 ¾ cups (15 oz) ricotta cheese (or small curd cottage cheese)

  • 1 egg, slightly beaten

  • ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves

  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves

  • 12 pieces oven ready lasagna, uncooked

  • 4 cups (16 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese

  • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  In large skillet, cook meat until browned; remove from heat. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and alfredo sauce. In small bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, basil and oregano.

To assemble, layer meat sauce, pasta, ricotta and mozzarella cheese in that order in greased 13X9X2 baking dish. Repeat two more times. Top with remaining pasta pieces and meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes; remove foil. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.  Enjoy!!

 Don’t forget the chocolate!

Happy Valentines Day from Britt Farms! xoxo

Leave a comment

Posted by on February 14, 2012 in Life on the Farm, Photos, Recipes


Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: